Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Tonight I am writing from underneath the safety of my bed net... I heard the rats earlier, I still haven't seen them, but I'm sure that I heard them! Kimi warned me to keep all of my suitcases zipped otherwise my clothes would be chewed to pieces! This morning there was a cockroach playing dead alongside my bed and of course the bats stuck in the cupboard next to me... I think it'll take some time to get used to all of this company!

After being so tired for so long and sleeping so well last night, it hasen't taken me long at all to adjust to the 9 hour time difference. Today I ventured out into the city of Jinja with Kimi to run a few errands. We had the windows of our rented van rolled down and as we drove through the red dirt roads the children would see us and yell "Hey Muzungu!" (Luganda for "white person") and wave their hands. That word will be what I answer to for the next four months! I have a Luganda-English phrase book that I need to study up on, it seems that it is the most common tribal language spoken here in the east.

Another friend from home arrived today to volunteer with His Hope Uganda, the organization that Kimi runs. It was nice to see Kristy and get caught up with her... Who knew I had to fly half way around the world to finally see my muzungu friends!?! It's been a lot of fun and they are teaching me so much about the culture and the way of life here in Uganda.

Tomorrow morning I will leave bright and early to go to the airport to pick up my Co-Country Director, Lauren. We'll set to work straight away to find a place for our team to live in Lugazi. Once that major feat is accomplished, I think everything will start falling into place as far as finding a local cook, driver, someone to deliver water etc. It will be nice to have an address to give to our volunteers and somewhere that we can start getting ready for them to come. We have to buy each of them beds, which totals to about 25... I'm not sure how we're going to transport them all... maybe a big Banana Truck? Either way finding the place to transport them to comes first!

No comments:

Post a Comment